Antioch Man Swallows Dental Drill Bit, Ends Up in Hospital

KENOSHA, Wis. (AP)  An Antioch man inhaled a drill bit during a routine dental visit — and then ended up at the hospital, where doctors removed it with a rare medical procedure. Tom Jozsi said he was at the dentist last month getting a tooth filled when he was told he swallowed a tool. A CT scan showed he actually inhaled the 1-inch drill bit, and it was deep in his lung. Dr. Abdul Alraiyes at Aurora Medical Center-Kenosha, said the bit was so deep, normal scopes couldn’t reach it. So the medical team used a device designed for early detection of cancer, and they were able to remove the object. Jozsi has suffered no complications from the surgery and is said to be in good health.

Associated Press and Tim Vander Tuuk, WXLC News (4-20-22)